Plaza de Espana, Seville, Spain
Seville is one of the most beautiful cities in Spain. Its Old Town contains three UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- the Alcázar, the Cathedral and the General Archive of the Indies.
Originally named Hispalis, Seville then became Ishbiliya after the Muslim conquest in 712 and was incorporated into the Christian Kingdom of Castile under Ferdinand III in 1248. In 1519, Ferdinand Magellan departed from there for the first circumnavigation of the Earth.
The city was at its cultural apex during the 17th century. Three centuries later, it was elected as the capital of the Autonomous Community of Andalusia.
The Plaza de España is a semi-circular square. Spanning 50,000 square metres, it was built as the centrepiece of the Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929.
The square features a canal and four bridges, painted ceramic tiles, a fountain, a large brick building, and two towers.
Fact: Plaza de España has been used as a location for filming movies. One of them is Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones!
SevilleSpainmacrocloseupplaza de Espanabridge